Thread: Lower Cylinder Rebuild the Same as Uppe in rebuildr?

Question Lower Cylinder Rebuild the Same as Uppe in rebuildr?

I've watched the video on the upper cylinder. My question: Is the lower cylinder the same in rebuild?

Mine started leaking around the plunger today. (lower)

[And] is there anyting I need to be aware, some tricks, pitfalls, etc when I preform this surgery?

Honestly, I'm shocked that I haven't had to do this already: I've run it to Kalamazoo and back and it dutifully doing it's job.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Abda View Post
    I've watched the video on the upper cylinder. My question: Is the lower cylinder the same in rebuild?

Mine started leaking around the plunger today. (lower)

[And] is there anyting I need to be aware, some tricks, pitfalls, etc when I preform this surgery?
    Yes its the same.

Check the new orings fit snug on the piston before replaceing. While you have the cylinder out clean up the piston GOOD. Alcohol and some scotchbrite. DONT remove the piston and be careful not to bend it while cleaning.

When you put the hollow set screw back in DONT torque it in, just a hair past finger tight. You can use blue thread locker if you want. If its to tight you will have issues.

Whats a good guess on hours before rebuild?

Thumbs up Well over a 100

Doing some quick math and some serious memory exorcises I'd have to say, with conviction, well over 100 hours since the day I got it in all total use.

Gotcha on not removing the piston (that I previously called plunger). I suspect this is because it is precision mounted and unnecessary to remove [and] should be cleaned in place when the cylinder is removed taking care to clean it while still mounted.

I had taken to brushing the pistons with while lithium grease every time before use and in-between during those times I turned it off to cool down. I use it to fill my air hog tank and it will run a long time at one time before I shut it off. Am I correct in this practice of lubing and pumping?

It was pumping fine day before yesterday but I had to go to bed. I left the air pressure on in lines it to save it (long hose and a lose of air to let all that air go to relieve) Before I turned it on to pump this morning, after lubing every thing, it ran fine for a half hour then started to turn itself off at 3000 lb---my collar is set to 4500. I readjusted the collar and it still cut off and this is when I noticed the needle bouncing up and down on pump strokes. I checked and found the air escaping from the front of the lower cylinder where the piston enters it. I haven't gotten past this stage yet except for reading more and watching the video. From what I understand, this indicates the cylinder needs a rebuild.

While I am at it, should I rebuild the top as well? Or, if it ain't broke, don't fix it?

If this is all correct in practice and understanding I'm am ready to attempt surgery providing I can find the seals tucked away with all the other air gun stuff I have (should not be a problem but if so I'll just buy the kit . . . again.).

Thank you for your quick response.

Exclamation

Need some help.

I've watched the video over and over again.

I've broken down the lower cylinder. There was a very small O ring broken in half.

The back check valve is all in order and not broken or worn.

However, when I tried try pull out the O rings there don't seem to be any between or before the plastic spacers.

I've broken down both ends, cleaned all meticulously and have peered through the cylinder and can see nothing. I"m using the exact same tools as in the video.

Just to make sure, the bottom cylinder is *exactly* like the top cylinder, correct?

Thanks

Thumbs up

I've got it figured out.

Thanks anyway.

I'm done.

<<<<<<<< Your Customized Value <<<<<<<<