PDA

View Full Version : fuse blew

jbladedx
01-29-2011, 03:53 AM
I just got my shoebox, I havent used it yet because i dont have the hook ups for my 44cf tank yet, but i wanted to plug it in just to see it run for a couple seconds. i plugged it in and the fuse blew within a matter of a second or two.. i tried moving the arm but it wont budge, it seems like its locked up. Or does this thing need the 85 psi of air to it to run? I didnt have a 85 psi feed to it, i just wantred to make sure the thing ran for a couple seconds. but it just blew the fuse.. any ideas?

TomKaye
01-29-2011, 04:23 AM
Try turning the motor shaft. If that doesn't move email me your phone number and I will call you. If it does move its probably a loose wire in the motor grounding out. We had one before come loose in shipping. The wire is internal and not something we hooked up at the factory.

Tom

jbladedx
01-29-2011, 05:01 AM
I e-mailed you my number.

jbladedx
02-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Thanks for calling me and helping me solve the problem, Amazing customer support!! Thanks tom!

onetime
02-20-2011, 01:08 AM
My Shoebox was only filling to 3500psi. I adjusted the collar all the way out and fuse blew after the shoebox filled my bottle to 3800psi. Now the motor feels locked up. I am unable to turn the arm or cogs.

TomKaye
02-20-2011, 01:23 AM
Disconnect the chain and see if the motor turns.

Tom

tjbryner
02-14-2012, 06:44 PM
Mine just blew the fuse and the motor turns very easy. Only 3 hours run time.

what would cause this? Wish one was in the rebuild kit.

tjbryner
02-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Update after replacing the fuse with one out of my pellet stove, ( going to town soon) As soon as I turn it on sparks from the fuse are and say good by to the fuse.

2 fuses in 5 minutes

rsterne
02-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Does the crankshaft move easily?.... If you've been using biobased Lithium grease, you may have siezed up the pistons....

http://www.shoeboxcompressor.com/forum/showthread.php?188-*****-Do-NOT-USE-these-Lubricant-Brands-with-ShoeBox-Compressors*****

Bob

tjbryner
02-14-2012, 08:02 PM
Everything turns and moves easy, I think it is in the Fuse holder and it is shorting out to the case. Every time I tried it ( 3 fuses plus the factory)that's were the sparks come from.

TomKaye
02-14-2012, 08:35 PM
If its shorting out at the fuse holder something will be black in there. Check it out and let me know.

Tom

tjbryner
02-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Nope not seeing any black at the fuse holder just a bright flash at the right side of it. The SB turns on for a split second and I get maybe 2 complete rotations of the piston arm, basically on off just that fast.

The shafts seem to have some black on them which I thought was early, But I can move every thing with one finger.

TomKaye
02-14-2012, 11:30 PM
Its probably something going wrong in the motor. Disconnect the motor wires, let them hang without touching anything and flip the switch on. If its grounding out directly the odds are it will blow the fuse again. If its the motor nothing should happen. Be careful!

Tom

tjbryner
02-14-2012, 11:35 PM
Will do as soon as I get more fuses. I'll let you know
Thanks Tom

TomKaye
02-14-2012, 11:47 PM
If your handy with electrical stuff you can hook a light bulb across the terminals of the fuse block and it will light up instead of short the fuse.
Tom

tjbryner
02-15-2012, 02:21 AM
Tom how much is a new belt type motor? It's one of the only things I couldn't find on the site.

Using the light bulb method, The shoebox would run. No sparks any were seemed to run freely.
I'm thinking that maybe the motor is the issue. I'm not sure if these motors have a start up winding or not.

TomKaye
02-15-2012, 04:06 AM
The motor does have a start up winding and a centrifugal switch. You can take off the rear bell and see if its ok and the contacts are good etc. The belt drive kit attaches to the original motor so there is no difference.

Tom

tjbryner
02-15-2012, 04:19 AM
Will look at that in the AM. how much is a motor I'd rather order one then send this one back. Then I'll have a spare :)

Yep the motor seems to be failing, It draws way to much amperage when starting. I have a guy in town that can rebuild this motor for a price that is cheaper then shipping it out. The only down side is that he's at least 2 weeks behind.

I still want to buy a new motor, that way if I ever run in to a motor issue I can switch it out.

TomKaye
02-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Email me directly at info@shoeboxcompressor.com and we can talk about the motor.

Tom

tjbryner
02-15-2012, 07:33 PM
For those who read the forum or have found this issue, Tom is a stand up guy, Issue is resolved!

Thank you for such great machine and customer support!
TJ