PDA

View Full Version : Shoebox #116-45 Problems

rsterne
04-20-2011, 07:14 PM
HI Tom....

My 4500 psi ShoeBox # 116 is (I think) partiallly siezed.... It either shuts off the switch as soon as it is turned on or blows the fuse.... even into no output pressure load.... When I try and turn it by hand, it is difficult to turn for the "in" half of the stroke.... The chains are not too tight, in fact the one on the motor is loose if anything.... Input pressure is 80 psi.... I have about 18 -20 hours on it.... lubed every 2.5-3 hours....

Where do I look for the problem?

Bob

TomKaye
04-20-2011, 08:44 PM
You will have to take off the cylinders and see what's going on. If you can turn it at all its not seized in the traditional way. Most likely its the delrin sleeves that are clamping down on the pistons.

Tom

rsterne
04-22-2011, 03:12 PM
HI Tom....

I got some snap ring pliers and started to take off the rings and then I noticed that the grease on the shafts (pistons) felt very sticky.... Since the problem I had was when the piston was fully in, I wondered if that could be the problem.... I moved them to the fully retracted position and carefully removed the grease with a paper towel moistened with varsol and then dried them.... I have been using a White Lithium Grease made by LubriMatic which is labeled "Green - Biobased Lubricants".... It is a long fibre grease and quite sticky.... and when allowed to dry between pumping sessions apparently became so "sticky" or "stiff" that it was causing the pistons to "jam" at the compression end of the stroke.... With the grease removed, the ShoeBox could once again be turned by hand....

The only other grease I had was a Moly High Pressure grease so I put a small dab on the shafts and replaced the fused and fired it up.... It works perfectly !!!

Please note that WHITE LITHIUM GREASE by LUBRIMATIC marked 'GREEN BIOBASED LUBRICANTS" is UNSUITABLE FOR USE IN A SHOEBOX....

Bob

TomKaye
04-22-2011, 04:34 PM
Bob,

Thanks for that information! That's the first time we have seen lube bring the compressor to its knees. We will make sure to watch for that product in the future.

Tom

rsterne
04-22-2011, 05:13 PM
It's been ticking away for the last 2 hours without a hiccup.... I wonder if you could post the brand and type/part-number of White Lithium grease you recommend and use for the ShoeBox.... It might save others from the same fate.... Fortunately, I caught mine early....

Bob

metaldogfish
04-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Wow! Thanks for the heads up. That's the exact brand I'm using. I noticed the grease would build up and look like hair/fuzz hanging on the shaft. Never thought about it. Thought it was normal. Luckily I only have 6 hours on my SB and will clean her up and relube. Thanks again!

metaldogfish
04-24-2011, 01:49 AM
Update! Yes the lube rsterne and I was using is bad stuff! I was starting to have low fills and adjusted the spring collar to the max... didn't help. Clean up and the right lube- i'm rocking 4500 again! I have to adjust the collar down now! Keep up with info all!