PDA

View Full Version : Burst Disk Iissue

Abda
04-18-2011, 01:58 PM
Hi all.

First and foremost , I've had my shoebox for a while now and I'm super happy with it. I've actually been stalling on giving it a good review at the site to make sure I didn't jump the gun before working out any kinks that might pop up. I'm good at that, or rather, bad at it (jumping the gun)

Anyway, I use my shoebox to fill an Air Hog. It's a big tank. Took a long time to fill it up the first time, of course and it says so in all the literature.

Method: So what I do is I fill a few guns at one sitting from the air hog tank and then, sometime, about once a week, I'll use the shoebox to refill the tank. Works out really well and really doesn't take that long. I have a one foot host that came with the Air Hog Tank and a five foot hose I bought to be able to keep everything stationary on a table as a fill station. I have all the necessary fittings to make everything work.

After purchase adjustments: When I first got it, I adjusted the collar to set the fill pressure to 4500 psi. The very first time I did this I got it to 4600 psi. I backed it off immediately and me and my shoebox have been great partners every since.

That is until a few days ago. I got a couple of new guns. Of course, I wanted to top off my Air Hog for the coming day of fun shooting to test them out.

The problem: So, when I connect up my Air Hog Tank to the Shoebox this last time, I notice that the pressure is only building too about 1000 psi then stopping. This is without opening the valve to the Air Hog Tank. What I do is I turn on the shoebox with the additional 4 gallon first stage compressor charged and then watch the gauge on the Air Hog Tank build to around 3500 psi and then SLOWLY turn on the Air Hog Tank so that equalizes out the pressure as gently as I can get it to do. Then I let the Shoebox do it's magic and shut the door in my den to sit in the recliner on the other side in the great room where I can periodically check the system as a whole.

However, this time the pressure, as I said, was not building. At first I thought it was a leak at the bottom cylinder where it goes into the block. A water bath test showed that all the fittings were air tight. But after some fiddling, I found the leak to be from that golden looking nut n the rear of the block. I looked this up in the manual and found it to be associated with the "Burst Disk".

As stated, I haven't had that much pressure, or shouldn't have exceeded the 7500 psi, I think the manual said, to cause it to vent.

And, as far as I can tell, the manual calls it a "vent event" and to me, that would indicate a sudden loss of pressure, not a s-l-o-w leak.

I would like more information, if possible on this. One thing I'm curious about is WHY it blew. I use filters on the intake lines to remove moister and debris. The entire set up is all new and sometimes still smells new. That's how new it all is.

So, what do I do? Take out the gold nut at the rear? Find the burst disk? Replace it?

There is a little hole in the nut, seems like that is where the loss of air is coming from.

The request: Some advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

TomKaye
04-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Hummm... well its not a blown burst disk that's for sure. It might just need a bit of tightening. Try sticking a wrench in there and putting some torque on it. That should seal it back up.

Tom

Abda
04-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Hummm... well its not a blown burst disk that's for sure. It might just need a bit of tightening. Try sticking a wrench in there and putting some torque on it. That should seal it back up.

Tom

Thanks for the quick reply, Tom.

I'm trying to find a wrench that will fit the need as we speak. Got an idea on the size? I've gone through about half the wrenches in my small arsenal. It's not a 3/8's: Starting to work into my metrics now.

Tight little bugger to get to!

Thanks
Abda

Abda
04-18-2011, 04:32 PM
The nut in question is item number 33 on the exploded view. Anybody got an idea on what size this is?

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of wrenches and I'll have to borrow one. It would be nice to know what I have to borrow before I hit my buddies up for a wrench.

Anybody know what size wrench will fit this? Here is a handy link to the exploded view: http://www.shoeboxcompressor.com/images/stories/shoeboxexplodedview.jpg

Thanks
Abda

Abda
04-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Okay, I've found that it *is* in fact a 3/8's nut. I just could't get my fingers back there to get the the wrench to seat.

Sedcondly, I did tright it a little bit and still, it leaks. It's more of a rush of air now than it was, but not a vent event.

Third, I finally gave this up and just took the nut out and observed the burst disk and the disk seems to be intact. I've put it back in now and this time used teflon tape to cover the threads an tightened it down again.

Again, it still leaks.

What next?

TomKaye
04-19-2011, 04:36 AM
Are you positive its coming from the burst disk and not the metal plate above? There are orings in back of the plate that can leak.

Tom

Abda
04-19-2011, 07:00 AM
Are you positive its coming from the burst disk and not the metal plate above? There are orings in back of the plate that can leak.

Tom

Pretty sure, Boss. The disk is intact but loose on the rear of the nut. It just looks like a peice of metal squased over the end but has not ruptures.

Help me understand, if it were a seal then it wouldn't hold the minum pressure, right? It tries to hold pressure but the air leaks out around the bottom there.

I'll double check tomorrow and also study the PDF more to be certain.

Worse case scenerio, right now, think I could buy another disk for it from you guys? I'd pay for it straight up. I think that would be a good step in process of elimination before I started breaking it down further and I'm tying REAL hard not to get into that.

Thanks for the come back. Alway impressed with this outfit on that kind of thing.

Abda
04-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Morn'n. Had my coffee. Hope you have had yours as well. Seems like a definite coffee moring to me.

Well, the verdict is in. I rechecked everything so I didn't jump the gun as I'm so proven to do.

But this time I did the old hole in the tire you cant find test with some soapy water and a little spray bottle. The air is coming out of the hole in the side of the bolt that is, for what I can safely asssume, is the Burst Disk relief area. No two ways about it. But now that I've taken it out and put it back in, the air is coming out faster than it was in the beginnig.

I'll contact you via email to see what is the best way to work with you on this. I'll pay for anything I need to fix it. No doubt, something I did it didn't like and that's usually my luck and I believe in this product.

Thanks for the suggestions, Tom.

TomKaye
04-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Send me your shipping addy. We will send another burst disk no charge. Make sure you say if its a 3k or 4.5k compressor.

Tom

Abda
04-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Send me your shipping addy. We will send another burst disk no charge. Make sure you say if its a 3k or 4.5k compressor.

Tom

Will do, check email here in a short. It is the same as on my original bill if that helps but I'll resend just the same.

Thanks for all the help.

Abda
05-05-2011, 09:14 AM
This issue is fixed due to the great support and communication of the managment. Namely, Mr. Kaye.

Most of my problems were self created. But, to my credit, and some help, self absolved as well.

My biggest share here would be to NOT use teflon tape as the seal isn't created that way at this particular part of the machine. Secondly, becareful not to over tighten the nut.

I'm welcome to PMs for those having the same problem and how I fixed it.

I love my shoebox! :) This little miracal is the sole reason I'm able to enjoy the world of Adult Air Guns!

I'm closing the thread.

Thanks for all the great support!