PDA

View Full Version : motorless version of Shoebox maybe?!?!?!

Dalemite
04-16-2011, 12:22 AM
I'm just wondering: Since these Shoebox compressors are hand built, could I order a custom compressor without an electric motor? I thought I might power this sucker with good old manual labor, like a bicycle axle or something similar.

TomKaye
04-16-2011, 01:35 AM
Yes we sell them without motors. Contact us for pricing.

Tom

slayer
04-25-2011, 01:46 PM
dalemite, you looking for a work out or just portability? Would seem a hand pump would be more in order if either one? lol
Tom makes it easy for us, I get a glass of water and watch tv while my stuff fills up. lol thanks Tom!

cadmus
11-07-2013, 03:15 PM
I'm just wondering: Since these Shoebox compressors are hand built, could I order a custom compressor without an electric motor? I thought I might power this sucker with good old manual labor, like a bicycle axle or something similar.

So what did you come up with, Dalemite? Why do you want a powerless system? Did the bike idea work? What are you filling (scuba or paintball)? How did you get first stage compression?

I too have been looking into this for several years. Everyone will say "impossible" as they pat their bellies and sip their beers. Human powered compression IS time consuming. On another forum someone said it took him several days for a 40 cf scuba tank with one of those single cylinder painball hand pumps. Many people, especially my fellow Americans(USA Americans) who are used to ALWAYS having electricity, don't realize that some of us spend long segments of life far from electricity and fossil fuels. On a 15 day crossing in a sailboat, one is pretty stir crazy by day 4 and looking for exercise. So I to am trying to rig some compressing product up to a bike or row machine etc. The shoeboxes looks promising but without macgyvering a first stage compressor it might be impossible.

cadmus
11-07-2013, 03:16 PM
dalemite, you looking for a work out or just portability? Would seem a hand pump would be more in order if either one? lol
Tom makes it easy for us, I get a glass of water and watch tv while my stuff fills up. lol thanks Tom!
the hand pumps are ergonomically awkward, but they have potential if modified.

cadmus
11-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Yes we sell them without motors. Contact us for pricing.
Tom
Tom and others,
What RPM range is best for each of the shoebox models? What kind of force should be maintained at said RPMs and is the force the same at all angles/segments of the rotation? (if not can you graph were it is highest and lowest)
How does this RPM range change IF no cooling fan is able to be run? (fans can also be human powered, so please do not change the suitable RPM range assuming no fan is running)

Thanks in advance for the help.

TomKaye
11-07-2013, 03:23 PM
You can run it at 200 rpm or less not faster. Its about 100 lbs peak pressure against the crankshaft during part of the rotation.

Tom

cadmus
11-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Thanks, when you say 100 lbs, what is the arm length of that 100 lbs? just ftlbs?

TomKaye
11-08-2013, 04:29 AM
Its about 200 inch lbs.

tk