PDA

View Full Version : Don't use silicone grease

bdurham
04-11-2011, 05:07 PM
I had some silicone grease that I had used on o rings in the past. I thought I would try it on the shoebox. It didn't run long till it started making a strange noise. It was the piston making a noise when it went through the bushing that guides it. I stopped it off and put my lithium back on and the noise stopped immediately. The silicone doesn't lubricate near enough. Thought I would post so noone else would try it and might ruin something. Ben

TomKaye
04-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Yes, we have tested silicone and it didn't work out. It runs through the system too fast. Silicone NOT RECOMMENDED.

Tom

Bob2011Thompson
01-08-2012, 06:14 AM
I think I was watching one of your online videos (if it was a customer's video, my bad) and it said for a
rebuild one was to use silicone grease to install the O-rings, but then to use lithium grease to grease
the shaft. My question is: if the O-rings can withstand/prefer lithium grease for the shaft sliding
through them -- why wouldn't it be O.K. to use lithium grease when installing the O-rings also and just
avoid the expense of having two different types of grease on hand -- especially if having the silicone
grease around increases the probability that I will inadvertently use it for everyday shaft lubrication
and thereby screw things up?

TomKaye
01-08-2012, 08:03 AM
It wasn't one of our videos. We want you to use lithium grease on everything.

Tom