PDA

View Full Version : upper cylinder leaking even after new o-rings installed

crboy
04-10-2011, 04:36 AM
My upper cylinder is going through o-rings like mad. Last 2 sets lasted ~ 20-30 hrs run time with greasing of piston every 2-2.5 hrs. Just installed last of my o-rings and it won't go past 1700psi. Checked for leaks and it's leaking out of the second stage (top cylinder) repacked it and it still leaks. O-rings fit very snug on the clean piston so I am puzzled why it is leaking by. Any thoughts on this? Is it possible that the cylinder is scratched and air is leaking by? I made sure my o-ring pick was rounded off but maybe not enough... Are replacement cylinders available for purchase? I just put an order in for o-rings and now I am wondering if I need a new cylinder to add to order.

TomKaye
04-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Check the surface of the piston and see if its scratched and report back. The cylinder has very little to do with holding air. Its all in the pistons.

Tom

DJH
04-10-2011, 11:06 AM
My upper cylinder is going through o-rings like mad. Last 2 sets lasted ~ 20-30 hrs run time with greasing of piston every 2-2.5 hrs. Just installed last of my o-rings and it won't go past 1700psi. Checked for leaks and it's leaking out of the second stage (top cylinder) repacked it and it still leaks. O-rings fit very snug on the clean piston so I am puzzled why it is leaking by. Any thoughts on this? Is it possible that the cylinder is scratched and air is leaking by? I made sure my o-ring pick was rounded off but maybe not enough... Are replacement cylinders available for purchase? I just put an order in for o-rings and now I am wondering if I need a new cylinder to add to order. i would check every fitting that you have on your whole set up with a small brush dipped in soapy water also , and check for leaking at the bottom of the billet block by putting the soapy water around the edge of it , all it takes is one of these fittings/ o-rings to leak a little bit and you will not get a full charge , on my own machine even with the top cylinder leaking a bit , it would still charge to 4500 psi , so it might be possible that it is leaking in another area .

crboy
04-11-2011, 02:20 AM
I used the soap and brush method and had nice big bubbles coming from the piston side of the top cylinder. The piston looks fine and smooth.
Currently the shoebox will pump up to 1700 psi and them shut off.

TomKaye
04-11-2011, 03:59 AM
Sounds like you scratched your cylinder but that is not causing it to shutoff at 1700. That would be a leak in the lower cylinder. You need to remove, clean and inspect the upper cylinder for scratches etc. Then rebuild the lower cylinder orings.

Tom

crboy
04-13-2011, 01:57 AM
Yeah Tom you were right again. Lower cylinder o-ring went through to the back check. Replaced and she's back up and running.