PDA

View Full Version : Marathon/endurance running the shoebox 4500 psi air compressor

DJH
04-07-2011, 06:24 AM
Hi guys , i have been doing some very long run times on the shoebox compressor , to start with i ran it for 3 days straight around the clock , these are the cylinders i have filled so far -

4 = 44cf cylinders to 4500 psi

3 = 88cf cylinders to 4500 psi

1 = over 500 cf DOT air cylinder to 4500 psi

i am coming close to 200 hours of run time on my shoebox

so far i have replaced the o-rings 2 times on the cylinders , had the o-ring on the bottom of the billet block leak , and then i replaced it , i now need to replace the o-rings on the cylinders again this will be the 3rd time ,

i think the next set should last longer do to the fact that the piston rods are now more polished

next week i am getting new xp airguns ranger 45 caliber airgun , that gun charges to 4500 psi , this gun can use a lot of air on high power 500 psi per shot , it can shoot a 250 grain bullet at over 1200 fps ! ,and i will be doing some video with this gun shooting it a lot using a lot of air , so the shoebox will be running a lot ,

this will make for some good testing with both the shoebox and the most powerful airgun available to the public - the xp ranger 45/58 caliber airgun .

i would like to say Thanks to Tom... for making this cool little machine that could !
it just keeps chuging along... chug ....chug...chug ....chug ...chug !

Tom has been of great help running this machine on these log run times , i think the future looks pretty bright for the shoebox compressor , with these long run times , and testing the machine will be even more refined in the future .

it's just so great to be able to charge your own cylinders now for a practical price , this machine is going to help really open up the sport of air-gunning , being able to charge your cylinder/guns at home is a great advantage, and makes it more practical to shoot airguns .

i will keep you guys updated as i go

thanks..Tom ...... DJH

Gabby
04-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Man thats some serious runnin time! how is the chains and sprockets holdin up? All the nuts and bolts stayin' tight?

DJH
04-07-2011, 02:47 PM
All the chains and sprockets, and bolts are good , and staying tight so far .

DJH
04-10-2011, 02:35 AM
i went through ,and rebuilt the cylinders with new o-rings , on my shoebox compressor today the old o-rings did not look to bad the plastic sleeves also looked good , but since i had it apart i replaced the sleeves also , then i started it back up tested everything with soapy water and a small artist brush ,to make sure there were no leaks then i charged /topped off a 44cf tank , all worked well ,

the piston rods looked good ,and polished when i had it apart , i think this time around it should go a long time before rebuilt , i could of kept running it the way it was looking at the condition of the old o-rings and plastic sleeves, it was still charging fine but i did notice the upper cylinder was leaking a bit where the piston rod goes in when i tested it with the brush with soapy water ,

so at this point i now have over 200 hour's of run time on the shoebox,

man it is so nice to be able to charge your own cylinders ! ..... i must say !

DJH
05-09-2011, 03:26 AM
OK i have about 240 hours on the machine now , i re-build both cylinders Thursday night , i bore sighted them to the piston rods , had to make some adjustments to get them to align correctly , i decided to re-shape the front of my pistons to a round nosed bullet shape ,with a very small flat point in the center of the end of the piston , knowing that the piston goes in and out of the 1st oring after talking with Tom about it , i also polished the whole piston rods up with ultra fine 1200-1500 wet sand paper , i noticed after that it was a lot easier by hand to slide orings on them , when i put the rebuilt cylinders on, they went on a lot easier than they have before, way smoother ,also i have a decent sized electric fan blowing air at a high rate into the open shoebox , it runs very cool , you can run the machine for hours , turn it off and the piston rods are not hot at all ,

I ran the machine 16 straight hours Saturday , 4 hours Friday , I ran it another 4 hours so far tonight -Sunday , so about 24 hours after the mods , it is charging at a good rate around 12-14 minutes per 100 psi on a 44cf tank , I have let the shoebox sit for up to and hour after it shut off filling a 4500psi tank , with no loss in pressure , so things seem to be working great so far with this new bullet shaped polished piston end set up so far , i think this should extend the life of the critical 1st sealing oring in the cylinders that the piston goes in and out of , a smoother transition should help .

I have been shooting the big bore XP airguns 45 caliber Ranger airgun , I have had it now for almost 2 weeks , it eats air up real good ! and it shoots like a monster ! today i shot some over 400 grain bullets at around 900 fps ! I leave the gun tethered to a tank a lot , so i can shoot like CRAZY ! BOOM ! BOOM ! this gun will keep my shoebox real busy !

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh217/holditonhanson/100_2787.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh217/holditonhanson/100_2785.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh217/holditonhanson/100_2780.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh217/holditonhanson/100_2773.jpg

!

TomKaye
05-09-2011, 07:19 AM
GO BABY GO!! Glad to hear its humming along. Your our current record holder and the gun looks sweet too! :)

Tom

DJH
05-10-2011, 06:35 AM
Thanks Tom for all your help , this shoebox compressor , and the high powered xp airgun ranger 45 cal , are both changing the airgun industry as we all know it , very exiting times these are , and a bunch of fun I am having being a part of it , doing a bunch testing on both , now that i have the shoebox running good and supplying air ,we - Roachcreek ,and I are trying to cast the perfect bullets for the ranger , our shoebox compressors are a huge - HUGE ! part of our program to be able to test this air eating monster ! WE GOT AIR !

DJH
05-15-2011, 05:18 AM
OK so now i have put another 14 hours on my compressor , with right at 254 hours total ,

since the rebuild with the new bullet shaped -polished with ultra fine sand paper - pistons , i have 38 hours with no leaks at the pistons to cylinder, testing with a brush with soapy water , this is the longest run with no air-bubbles coming off the piston rods -to cylinder- when testing with soapy water , so this set up seems to be working good so far .

DJH
05-23-2011, 11:19 AM
7 more hours added run time this week , for a total of 261, everything is working good .

DJH
06-15-2011, 03:55 PM
I have 15 more hours on my compressor , my lower cylinder started to leak just a bit at the 65 hour mark , since the rebuild -it was still charging to 4500 psi , I decided to put new orings in the lower cylinder to keep the charging speed up , the upper cylinder is still going with no leaks at the 76 hour mark .

I now have right at 276 hours on my shoebox

DJH
11-12-2011, 05:42 AM
well i have put about 100 more hours on the machine , started shooting more now that jet skiing season is over .

so i have right at 376 hours now on the machine , the piston mods i have done have made this unit very reliable.

TomKaye
11-12-2011, 05:59 AM
Spectacular! We now hand polish all the pistons at the factory.

Tom

wasmarcus
11-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Spectacular! We now hand polish all the pistons at the factory.

Tom

I'd like to know if mine has had or will need this treatment.
Serial number would he helpful.

TomKaye
11-12-2011, 03:42 PM
All the pistons become naturally polished over time so you don't need it.

Tom

DJH
03-17-2013, 10:00 PM
I now have around 800 hour's on my machine ..... WOW ! is all i can say ! and thanks to Tom K for all his help on my machine

almost all of the last 600 hours have been filling up from 2500 psi -3000 psi ...to 4500 psi ... so my machine has been worked hard ! and done very well... i love the newer belt drive system ... nice and quiet

bcnowlin
03-17-2013, 11:51 PM
Do the Bottles charge Old BOOM BOOM or do you have to use Sb for it? Seem like the bottle would even out real fast.
Robert

DJH
03-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Do the Bottles charge Old BOOM BOOM or do you have to use Sb for it? Seem like the bottle would even out real fast.
Robert if you are talking about the ranger 45 .... I charge it off one of my scba tanks just like my other guns

DJH
12-23-2015, 05:27 AM
Hi .. guys ....some more long term test results .... my shoe box is still running good with over 1200 hour's .... the mods that I did to the pistons have really made a HUGE ! difference .... my pistons are shaped like flat nosed bullets at the end where they enter the piston o rings .... and have been bore aliened properly ... now I may have lost just a little tiny bit of efficiency due to the curved bullet shape at the end of the pistons ...but in all honesty the refill times are still very close to what it was before the piston mods .... and here is the real kicker .. O-rings are lasting 3-4 times as long ! win ! win ! compared to the original shaped ones .... what is happening is ...the flat nosed bullet shape pistons are smooth ramping into the o-rings ...causing way less wear on the O-rings

TomKaye
12-23-2015, 06:40 AM
Great! How many hours are you getting between oring replacement now?

Tom

DJH
12-23-2015, 07:25 AM
Great! How many hours are you getting between oring replacement now?

TomBefore it was around 3 times in a 200 hr time ... now about 1 time it seems with a rough estimate ... I think maybe I hit a sweet spot with this machine ... now I better go knock on some wood !

for more good luck ! HA ! HA ! ... Tom it looks like you are advancing these machines pretty good .... good job ! thanks for making these machines ... it's made air gunning way more fun than it ever was before ..... Dan

DJH
03-12-2016, 02:38 AM
Hi Tom, having some problems with this compressor ... now it is leaking from the bleeder hole and will not stop .... this happened after it blew out the disc under the block where the 2 flat allens hold the block in place ,and also hold the disc with oring that has several times leaked ....
I do have a lot of hour's on this unit.... lol ... to say the least ... thanks for your help Tom .... Dan

TomKaye
03-12-2016, 08:30 AM
Taken care of with email.

Tom

DJH
03-24-2016, 05:20 AM
Thank you Tom for the new parts and fantastic service .... some times even I forget just how many hour's I have put on this machine .. it really is the little machine that could ,and has done a fantastic job for it's size + price for myself and other's ... and it has been interesting having one of the first machines ..testing ,and making it work better ... I have had thought's of liquid cooling the cylinders next ,and I think I have come up with a way to do it very VERY ! cheap ! tubing orings amsoil additive in water ... after I tested enough I will give the details out on what I am using ... thanks again Tom ...... Dan