PDA

View Full Version : What size snap ring pliers? Any resolution of white lithium vs silicone grease?

pmags
03-24-2011, 12:04 AM
Hi All,

I just got the notice that my ShoeBox compressor has shipped, so I want to make sure I have the tools on hand I'll need for maintenance once it arrives.

I understand I'll need some snap ring pliers to change o-rings? What size? At Sears I've seen two sizes: 0.25in to 1in or 3/8in to 2in. Can anyone provide guidance on which of the sizes I'll need?

Also, I noticed an earlier post about silicone grease vs white lithium, and Tom seemed to suggest that he had been testing silicone with good results. Any update on this?

Thanks,
Paul M.

TomKaye
03-24-2011, 02:10 AM
Get the smaller snap ring pliers. Still testing the silicone grease, we had some issues with it that may or may not be due to the grease so no results yet.

Tom

ShoeBox Tech
03-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Hi All,
I understand I'll need some snap ring pliers to change o-rings? What size? At Sears I've seen two sizes: 0.25in to 1in or 3/8in to 2in. Can anyone provide guidance on which of the sizes I'll need?

Retaining Ring Pliers used by the Tech's.

Heavy Duty Fixed-Tip Retaining-Ring Pliers External w/90 Degree Tip, 3/8" to 1" Shaft Dia.

Item number....5449A85. Here......http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/2744/=bkmel4

bdurham
04-07-2011, 12:11 AM
These snapring pliers that Tom tells about in the previous post are a great pair of pliers. I have used some in the past that were nothing like these. They should last forever using on the compressor. Thanks for sharing. Ben