PDA

View Full Version : majore problems with shoebox compressor!

DJH
03-10-2011, 02:00 AM
Well i have ran the shoebox for around 3 days run time 70 hours , and now i have one problem after another with this machine .

first problem was the orings went out, then i replaced the orings , at first it charged up , then it stopped at 2000 psi , so i cleaned some grease off the check valves, started it back up, it started to charge , but then leaked from under the billet main block that holds the cylinders started , at the same time it also started leaking on the top cylinder where the piston rod goes in ,also one fitting after another has leaked ! i used brush with soapy water to check everything .

also the shut off has never worked right first it was going on 5000, then it went to 4000, then 3800

at this point i am starting to feel like a shoebox mechanic , not liking this one bit , i think it's time to send this back , i was really hoping this was going to work .

DH

TomKaye
03-10-2011, 04:03 AM
Send it back and we will refund your money.

Tom

DJH
03-10-2011, 04:17 AM
Thanks Tom , man i wish this would work right , there is a leak under the billet block that holds the cylinders , i don't know how or why it could be leaking from that area , is that area solid with no holes other than the mounting holes that bolt the billet block to the case ? down under the air outlet hole.

justforfun
03-10-2011, 04:23 AM
Tom is this why you do not sell kits?

DJH, how did you replace O rings without taking the cylinders out of the what you call the billet block?

TomKaye
03-10-2011, 04:32 AM
Now I understand your problem. There is a hole under the block. It has an aluminum plug with an oring and is held in when you clamp the block into the chassis. If its leaking it would be the first one ever. If you think you got a lemon, you can send it back and I will send you a brand new replacement. What serial number is yours?

Tom

DJH
03-10-2011, 04:39 AM
I did take the cylinders out of the billet block and used the dental style pick the same one that Tom uses from harbor freight , i watched his youtube video , and did what he said to do ,

i have good mechanical skills , i build world class 2 stroke racing motors , so i know things can go wrong with mechanical stuff . trust me i really wanted this compressor to work right, and tried my best to the rebuild correctly on the cylinders , following Toms instructions , the leak in the billet block is out of my control as far as i know .

DJH
03-10-2011, 04:46 AM
Hi Tom , i see you posted the same time i was responding , 306 4500 numbers on the billet block , ok that explain's it -the leak under there , how hard is it to replace that oring ? , remove cylinders , un bolt billet block and remove the drive chain ?

TomKaye
03-10-2011, 04:46 AM
It is possible to fix the leak in the block but realignment is more involved. If your going to give up on it then it would be easier just to send it back.

Tom

TomKaye
03-10-2011, 04:48 AM
If you want, email me your phone number at info@shoeboxcompressor.com and I will call you to discuss.

Tom

DJH
03-10-2011, 05:16 AM
OK will do Tom , thanks, email sent , Dan

DJH
03-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the call tom , we should re-name this thread endurance running the shoebox compressor ! since i have 4=44 cf cylinders 3=88cf cylinders and a very large over 500 cf dot cylinder , that all are getting filled to 4500psi , i shoot big bore airguns so i go through air like crazy ! one idea i have come up with that should speed up getting to 4500psi is to use the shoebox to get to 1500-3000 psi then hook the cylinder up to a booster pump that operates off any air compressor 100 psi to run the pump , it then takes 1500-3000psi to 4500 psi quickly , this might be the set up for guys needing a lot of air to run the big bore guns .

slayer
03-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Seems like an extreme use for a mini compresssor. I was worried I was over working it to fill one 80 cf 3000 psi tank from 2600 psi! lol I would think filling (topping off) one scuba tank a week would be normal use for this thing. Filling that many tanks you should go to a scuba shop and save some wear and tear on a mini compressor?

rsterne
03-24-2011, 03:19 PM
i have 4=44 cf cylinders 3=88cf cylinders and a very large over 500 cf dot cylinder , that all are getting filled to 4500psi
with all due respect, I think you are asking a lot of a ShoeBox if you expect it to survive doing that.... I calculate about 240 hours continuous running (ie 10 DAYS) just to do that once!.... With the amount of money you have tied up in bottles (let alone the airguns to go with them) I would think a full size SCUBA compressor would be a better choice.... JMO....

Bob

TomKaye
03-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Well no news is good news lets hope. I haven't heard anything so maybe everything worked out! There is no reason besides wearing out orings and sleeves that a compressor can't run continuously.

Tom

gene_sc
03-24-2011, 09:20 PM
Thats what I call service.

DJH
03-27-2011, 04:30 AM
Well no news is good news lets hope. I haven't heard anything so maybe everything worked out! There is no reason besides wearing out orings and sleeves that a compressor can't run continuously.

Tom Hi Tom , i tried to call you this week , but you were out so i left a message ,

i replaced the orings -the one under the billet block with the plug under the bottom ,

i marked the position of the billet block on the red housing with a black marker, and then i scribed it also to get it perfect ,

then i took out the cylinders -unbolted the billet block , took the billet block out hooked it up to air on the out going side to the cylinder i was charging that had 3000 psi in it ,

i then took a rag ,and wrapped it around the bottom where the plug is to catch the plug when i added /opened up the cylinder , and put air pressure back in the billet block to push the plug out that has the oring that was leaking ,

this method worked perfect you just crack open the bottle a little bit , and use as much air as it takes to blow the plug off the bottom of the cylinder into the rag , i used one of the orings for rebuilding the lower cylinder , it is working good so far , i bolted it back together i also had replaced the orings on the cylinders , so i fired it up and it seems to be working good ,

i have now filled the 88cf cylinder that i had charged to 3000 psi when the problems occurred to 4500psi , then i hooked up the 2nd 88cf cylinder that was empty zero air pressure , and have now filled it to 4500psi , and now i am on the 3rd 88cf cylinder that i have , and it is at 2500 psi and charging as i type this .

i think the piston rods are a lot more polished smooth after the 70 hour run , i am hoping this polishing will make it go longer until the next oring replacement has to be done on the cylinder , and i am pretty confident that it will go longer than the first set did 70 hours ,

i am still lightly greasing it up every 2 hours using a artist paint brush dipped in grease , so my hands/fingers never get close to the moving parts, this is very CRITICAL l that you use a BRUSH to put the grease on , it is easy to forget to unplug the unit when running it for long run times like i am when greasing it up every 2 hours , and it is real easy to hit the on switch on when trying to work /grease this machine ,

AGAIN USE A SMALL BRUSH TO GREASE THE PISTON RODS ON THE SHOEBOX SO YOUR FINGERS DO NOT GET DAMAGED OR CUT OFF ! ! ! sorry for the large letters but this might save someone a lot of grief ,

Ok another thing i want to touch on- is to have a small brush again -with a cup of soapy water , you will use this to test all the fittings you have on the shoebox and regular compressor , and fittings and lines that go to the cylinder that you are charging to make sure you have NO LEAKS ! this is VERY IMPORTANT you might just be surprised to find a little leak here or there on your entire set-up that will in-fact slow your charging up of the cylinder you are charging .

i hope this helps some of you guys i will keep posting updates as i charge more cylinders , i have one more to go after this last 88cf one , the next one has 3400psi in it right now but it is a very large DOT over 500 cf tank that i will be topping off to 4500 psi ,

i am using 4 air filters in a row to keep water out , 2 water trap style large ones, then 2 smaller desiccant ones , i have a large bag of desiccant to replace it when it turns pink in those filters .

i think this little machine is the little engine/shoebox that can ! ! and that with a little maintenance guys will just keep chugging and chugging and chugging along !!!! knock on wood !!! ha ! ha !

TomKaye
03-27-2011, 04:43 AM
I THINK I can, I think I can, 500cf here we come! :)

tk

DJH
03-27-2011, 05:06 AM
with all due respect, I think you are asking a lot of a ShoeBox if you expect it to survive doing that.... I calculate about 240 hours continuous running (ie 10 DAYS) just to do that once!.... With the amount of money you have tied up in bottles (let alone the airguns to go with them) I would think a full size SCUBA compressor would be a better choice.... JMO....

Bob NO , i really think Toms machine can , is , and will keep working to keep my cylinders filled with air , running it none stop pretty much for 70 hous it never over heated any part of the machine , and for me here is the deal , once i have everything filled this air , these cylinders will last me , plus if i keep them charged topped off to 4500 psi , i will not be going through these longer run times , like i am initially doing to get them filled to 4500 psi , i was able to get all these cylinders from a friend who sells scba equipment to the fire departments , and the like needed company's

Tom and i both realize this is a MAROTHON test for his product the shoebox compressor , this is the kind of testing that shows how long you can go between rebuilds on the cylinders , plus how good Toms design was/is ,

DJH

TomKaye
03-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Yes I am actually curious to see how this works out. If it does, I want DJH to take a pic of himself with the compressor and tanks and I'll post in on the website.

tk