PDA

View Full Version : Grease Confusion

TASpurs
03-04-2011, 10:21 PM
I really hate to show my ignorance but my wife says I should be used to it by now. I'm still a week or two away from receiving my shoebox and in trying to get prepared I purchased some lithium base EP (Extreme Pressure) grease. When I got it home and opened it up it is a very dark brown/green color. I'm wondering if this makes any difference as what is shown in the instruction video is white in color. Anyone out there able to explain the difference?

tomsz
03-05-2011, 12:42 AM
I would like to add my question: is there a difference between lithium-based and lithium grease? Mine says lithium-based and has a grey color to it.

TomKaye
03-05-2011, 01:37 AM
Humm not sure about the other colors. Everything I have ever seen has been white. Maybe contact the manufacturer so we all know.

Tom

Kingsley
03-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Hey there TASpurs :) Interesting name, mean anything special? Any hoot. Did some research for you, typical of an FMT don't you think. The grease you have should be fine. I've got a white lithium grease from Permatex, looks like the stuff in the video, and I compared the data sheet to a Timken, Lithium Multipurpose EP1 and a Lithium based EP2 grease. The permatex white lithium specs fell within the range of both the Timken’s. The Timken grease had a much wider spread for performance, so I would assume a better grease then the permatex. The only difference I could find with the EP-1 and EP-2 were the color, indicator of the rust inhibitor used and the NLGI grade. The permatex spec sheet did not give a NLGI grade but I figure it to be between 1 and 2. Here's the chart if anyone's interested. The Timken EP-1 has of NLGI 1 and the EP-2 has a of NLGI 2. As Tom suggested pull the spec sheet for your grease and compare it with others. I can email you the ones I've got if you would like? I think I can figure out your email. Also for what it's worth. Filled a Joe Brancato Guppy 2 tank to 4500psi in about 3.5 hours. Shot the air guns last night, I got my highest score of 37!! Filled all four gun canisters to 3000 psi and still have 4000 psi left in the guppy. I figure it's good for about 12 fills before it hits the 3000psi refill point. The shoebox is awesome and combine that with Joes tank setup and I'm a happy shooter.

NLGI Grade/ Worked penetration after 60 Strokes at 25 C (0.1 mm) Appearance/ Consistency food analog
000 / 445-475 / fluid / cooking oil
00 / 400-430 / semi-fluid / applesauce
0 / 355-385 / very soft / brown mustard
1 / 310-340 / soft / tomato paste
2 / 265-295 / "normal" grease/ peanut butter
3 / 220-250 / firm / vegetable shortening
4 / 175-205 / very firm / frozen yogurt
5 / 130-160 / hard / smooth pate
6 / 85-115 / very hard / cheddar cheese

Kingsley

Strange, when I edit this post the chart looks fine. But once I save it it all runs together? Weird

TASpurs
03-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Kingsley thanks for the info. Where do you find the spec sheets on the different products? Just got notified that my shoebox should be delivered sometime Monday. Can't wait!! Congrats on the 37 - out of my last 4 matches 3 of them have been 38's - we will not talk about the other one!

Kingsley
03-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Terry,
Went to the web page of the manufacture and most will have data sheets and safety info for thier products. As long as you did not buy grease from China, you should have no problem getting it. I also belong to a couple associations that have this info. Who is the manufacture of your grease and what product name?

TASpurs
03-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Kingsley,
Brand name is MasterPro Grease, Multi-Purpose Lithium Grease. It says Made in USA and has NLGI No. 2. It is distributed by Ozark Automotive, Springfield, MO but I couldn't find anything on that (Qzark Automotive) web site.