PDA

View Full Version : It took 18 hours to fill my 44cu carbon bottle to 4300ps from emptyi? Need help.



guanshee
02-27-2011, 09:50 PM
I was told that this should have taken half the time. My shop compressor was set at 95 psi and I did apply lithium grease on the shafts every 2.5 hrs.

I was told this should have been done in 8-9 hours. I just got my shoebox compressor on Saturday 2/26 and received joe brancatos scba setup with high pressure hose. All looks fine and cannot figure out if there is anyting wrong with my unit or if there are any leaks.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks...

TomKaye
02-28-2011, 02:07 AM
If its 44 cubic feet then it would take about 12 hours to fill to 3000 psi. This is based on 24 hours to fill an 80 cubic foot to 3000 psi. 4500 takes about 50% longer so 12+6 hours is about right.

Tom

TomKaye
02-28-2011, 02:33 AM
It seems guys on the Yellow Forum are getting better fill times. If that's the case, then you might have a leak. Check with soapy water.
Tom

guanshee
02-28-2011, 04:00 AM
It seems guys on the Yellow Forum are getting better fill times. If that's the case, then you might have a leak. Check with soapy water.
Tom

Where should I apply the soapy water? Outside of the shoebox only right?

rsterne
02-28-2011, 04:01 AM
I get 150 psi per hour on an 80CF tank.... That should translate into about 270 psi per hour on a 44CF.... so about 16 hours from empty to 4300 psi.... I don't think yours is too far from average....

Bob

TomKaye
02-28-2011, 07:54 AM
Spray it on both ends of the cylinders while its pressured up.

Tom

chewm1
02-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Here were the times for my recent fill. Just like my other fill that I tracked, it seems like the psi/hour drops as it fills. If I remember correctly I got close to 350psi/hour for the 1st couple hours and it droped off from there. I think that fill started at 3000 while the one in the link was at 3500

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/thread/1298572574/Shoebox+fill+data---

guanshee
03-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Found a leak on my tank gauge which fixed the problem.

Thanks Tom.