PDA

View Full Version : Question on an industrial compressor use

Ydna
02-22-2011, 01:42 AM
Hello....I just received my shoebox and am excited to get it working. I make this thread because I have a couple different selections for an air source, and I'd like to figure out what I'm going to do in the meantime before my hardware arrives.

Tom I know you're no stranger to the manufacturing world but I will explain my situation anyway. I have a machine shop here and thus naturally I would like to simply tap into the existing air plumbing and go from there. The air in the pipes has been sent through the myriad of filters after taking a trip through a moisture trap, an air dryer, and a coalescing filter. I much prefer the sound of this compared to using my little compressor at home, being as I'm paranoid of dirty air. And other obvious reasons (cost etc)

My problemo is.....the shop's air is being provided by a 10 horse two stage compressor. BUT I'm not so sure if this qualifies as an oil-free air source, and since I doubt that it is, I wonder if I can get away with it anyway. It looks a little like this http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/IS/Product.aspx-am_en-12878
There's definitely oil used in the crankcase but I don't know if it interacts with the outlet airflow. Does this disqualify my lovely investment from being used upwards of the shoebox? If so, does the coalescer make a difference?

If that's the case I can take the shoebox home and use it there once I hook up an arbitrary level of filtration to appease my paranoia. But I'd like to avoid that if at all possible. (lol)

Thanks TOM!

TomKaye
02-22-2011, 03:30 AM
The reason we only recommend oil free compressors is because of the liability. No matter how remote the chance, oil mist in high pressure pumps have been known to blow up. So I can't tell you its ok, what you do is up to you.

Tom

Ydna
02-22-2011, 04:00 AM
Yeah that's what I was thinking, and why I was/am shying away from using the shop air. I mean I'm no expert on it and didn't know if the crankshaft's oil interacted with the pistons/downwards supply. I was all fine and dandy with it until I saw that ingersoll makes oilless compressors too...then I was all "say it ain't so!!!"

The choice is clear....I don't want to die today!

TomKaye
02-22-2011, 04:26 AM
I appreciate you not dieing today.......:)